We're officially heading into the final weekend of the summer. And if the thought of cold weather and pitch-black mornings has you down, rest assured that we'll always be here to brighten up your day with all the latest news from around the fitness world.
After his legendary strongman career, Hafthor Björnsson, aka "The Mountain" from Game of Thrones, is looking leaner and meaner than ever before.
Bill Pearl was a fitness titan. The bodybuilding world, on the whole, has suffered a tremendous blow with his passing at 91.
Whether you want to build more mass, endurance, or pure strength, we've got you covered with five awesome full-body dumbbell workouts.
Hafthor Björnsson Looks Lean, Positively Shredded
Just over four years ago, Hafthor Björnsson reached the arguable summit of his professional career by winning the 2018 World's Strongest Man contest. Now in strongman retirement, the Icelandic strength sports icon is carving a new path for himself.
Earlier this week, Björnsson shared the latest update from his training. After a back and abs workout that already followed an apparent "hardcore" day of filming for an undisclosed TV show/movie, the photo he shared shows him looking shredded and leaner than ever. While Björnsson doesn't disclose his weight, it's evident his physique is a far cry from his strongman days.
Fitness Legend Bill Pearl Passes at 91
The sport of bodybuilding suffered a tremendous blow this week as former Mr. Universe Bill Pearl died at the age of 91. Pearl's wife, Judy, announced the news through her husband's official Facebook page.
Here's a look back at some of the more notable achievements and imprints Pearl left upon the fitness world:
- Won four Mr. Universe titles, including one in the Tall category
- Authored three best-selling books, including the influential Getting Stronger (1986)
- Awarded the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic Lifetime Achievement in 2004 "for significantly impacting the world of bodybuilding"
It's safe to say bodybuilding would not be where it is today without the late Pearl's efforts.
Dumbbell Workouts That Go Full-Throttle
You might think of dumbbells as a secondary, complementary aspect of your training routine, but don't sell them short. These hammer-headed implements can bring a ton of punch to any lifter's routine, regardless of skill or experience level.
Here's our breakdown of five awesome full-body dumbbell workouts you can start on right now. Whether you're pursuing an uptick in strength, sheer mass, or just want to be in better shape, all you need for these exercises are appropriately sized dumbbells and a good attitude.
Jesus Olivares Continues to Impress
- Two-time IPF World Super Heavyweight Champion Jesus Olivares squatted an eye-watering 1,003 pounds raw during training. And he's only 23...
- Two big pieces of Olympia news dropped this week: Regan Grimes will not compete at the show, and 212 champ Derek Lunsford is heading to the Open division in 2022.
- One last unbelievable feat of the week: Powerlifter John Haack benched an incredible 606 pounds in training around two weeks out from his next meet.